Over on Instagram I usually try and take part in the #myhousethismonth challenge. It’s essentially a photo challenge with prompts for your daily picture. I really enjoy the challenge of having to come up with a decent looking photo for the daily theme. One of the more recent prompts was “5 Facts about Me” and I really struggled to come up with some interesting facts, as essentially I’m not that interesting, but as I was thinking I came up with 5 and then I thought it would make a nice blog post too. So, here are not just 5 but 10 things about me. If you’re interested.
- I love my garden. Before we moved into our own house, I had never been interested in gardening. These days however I can spend hours pottering around. When we moved in we inherited a bare space with a huge silver birch tree that was slowly sapping all the goodness out of the garden. Although I was sad about it, we had to have it removed and the garden has really benefited as a whole. I’m slowly (as I’m on a budget of next to nothing) transforming this space into a cottage garden full of flowery loveliness. That’s partially why I started this blog – I hope to use it as a kind of diary, looking back at what’s done well in the garden and what hasn’t each month.
- Holly is my rainbow baby. Before we had her, I had an early miscarriage and this really affected my mental health for a while. There can surely be nothing more soul destroying than losing a child so Holly is beyond precious to me. She will always be an only child as I can’t have any more, but our family is complete.
- I love to crochet. I really enjoy making blankets and this winter I’ve got plans to make a white one for the end of Holly’s bed.
- I’m a geek for Victorian architecture. They just did everything so well, those Victorians! I always wanted a Victorian house and seeing as we could never afford a huge mansion, our terrace is the next best thing. I love exploring towns and cities with Victorian buildings and have a camera reel full of pictures of old buildings and features I love.
- I didn’t learn to drive until I was 29. I still drive my first car, Pierre, despite him (yes, it’s a him) being battered and scraped. I will cry when he has to be replaced.
- I have a scar on my leg from a cycling accident when I was around 14. It used to be shaped like an arrow.
- I run, and have joined our local running club in an attempt to be a proper athlete. After my last miscarriage I set myself the goal of running 5km as I had never run before and wanted something to focus on. The feeling of elation when I achieved this was amazing. I can go further now, but haven’t been for a while, so this is something I need to get back into. I blame this hot weather as I’m not good at running in the heat.
- I have a very small family. Basically, other than Mr R and Holly, it’s my gran and my half sister who aren’t related other than through me.
- I have two cats, Oscar and Mog. Mog lives outside like some Bear Grylls wannabe and only comes in when it’s cold. Her choice. Oscar meanwhile lives a life of luxury, sleeping on a king size bed all day and is generally spoiled.
- I can touch my nose with my tongue. Not a very useful skill unfortunately!
So there you go, that’s me in a nut shell 🙂 x